Sign up to this course
Starting Date: 20 October 2022
Over 4 consecutive weeks, at 19.30 (7.30pm) ASET zone
Description of learning:
To address the need for sustainability of service learning programs, participants will know how effective leadership is applied in learning organizations. Participants will know their skills and traits as leaders and be able to align the strategic plan with the development of a service learning framework in an action plan.
- Why and How to lead service learning and coordinate for success and sustainability in all schools.
- Why and How Service Learning can be embedded in the strategic plan of your learning organization.
- Where your organization is at in developing a sustainable service learning framework and how to move towards sustainability.
- Your role and responsibilities in leading organizational change and development of a culture.
Be Able To:
- Apply strategic planning to set up a service learning framework.
- Self Assess skills and traits as a leader – Knowing one’s abilities, traits/skills.
- Apply situational leadership – development of leaders and a support network.
- Develop partnerships and collaboratives and leadership and mentorship for service projects.
- Create a culture of service learning in your local school context.
- Apply change management theory.
- Develop sustainability through action planning and alignment with strategic organizational structures.
Participants will explore:
- strategic planning to set up the framework with the leadership team.
- skills and traits as leaders – Knowing one’s abilities, traits/skills.
- situational leadership – development of leaders and a support network.
- partnerships and collaboratives and leadership and mentorship development.
- culture of learning organizations.
- change management.
- sustainability through action planning and alignment with strategic organizational structures.
- An action plan for change within an organisation (supported by knowledge and understanding of existing leadership structures).
- An organisation development chart and a plan for managing change with a change process evaluation plan including how to communicate change (how to manage stakeholders, and understand how leadership will propose change to staff, etc.)
Participants will spend approximately 1.5 hours online (zoom synchronous meetings weekly) and two-four hours of independent study asynchronous application of learning.
Instructor/Facilitator and Feedback:
To receive the Serve Learn Coordination certificate of participation all participants need to complete the Serve Learn Academy learning activities. Feedback will be provided on the performance tasks that form the basis of the course summative assessments at the end of the workshop Week 4.
- Barton, T. (2019). Service Learning Vs Community Service: Why All Schools Need A Service Learning Program Now!
- Barton, T. (2019). Building An Inquiry Based Learning Continuum: Checklist Included
Facilitator is Tara Barton
Testimonials for Serve Learn Academy, Facilitation and Service Learning and Sustainability Institute course Feedback:
Access and download the workbook for this course
View a breakdown of the course schedule
Access the live interactive discussions for each module
Access the full set of resources for this course
Access and complete the required assignments
Director at Serve Learn Educational Consultants
Tara Barton developed a passion for service learning on her first visit to South Africa as part of an International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) Creativity, Activity, Action (CAS) program in 2002. The experience inspired her passion to develop sustainable and meaningful service learning in schools around the world. Tara is the Director of Servelearn.co and provides educational consulting, professional development workshops, coaching, and resources to support schools. The Serve Learn curriculum (K-12 units, assessments, lesson plans, and resources) has been adopted by several schools around the world for meaningful service learning in schools for impact.
Tara is the Association of International Schools of Africa (AISA) Service Learning Programme Coordinator for the region. She has presented many workshops around the world for educators, leaders, partners, parents, and students.
Beyond her Bachelor of Education, Tara has a Masters in Educational Leadership (LeHigh, USA) and her Principals Training Certificate (PTC). She is an Understanding by Design (UbD) Trainer and has a Coaching Certification (UW, USA). Tara’s home is Australia, she has worked as an educational thought leader internationally for 18 years, and lived in the Middle East, Asia, Africa and is currently based in Australia.
$650USD / $350USD
(Our special discounted introductory rate)
Includes all Workshop materials and Participation/Certification Certificates. Any questions feel free to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org